Tuesday 4 October 2011

The Invasion of Dorset


Well the last two weeks have been packed full of different activities, so much so that I simply have not had a chance to sit down and work on this blog as I should have been. Several things have been going on, both in life, in Vinland and in Pendor, for the interests of not spreading this post too thin, and having it go on for 5,000 words I will limit this one to just the former of the three. I have noted down the events for the others, so expect more posts in the coming weeks which will cover those topics.

Two weekends ago I was travelling through the picturesque villages and towns of Dorset working at better understanding that most Viking of activities, the art of drinking and through that enhancing my appreciation for the fine ales of the region. One of the local breweries had put on a competition which required that you visit 20 of their pubs before the end of September, of course we saw this as more of a challenge which had to be accepted, which dutifully we did. Unfortunately on my first visit to the area we only managed to go to one pub having decided we rather liked it and settled there. After this we were all busy until the weekend before the end of the challenge, so had to do 19 pubs in 2 days. Game on!

Based on my experiences during this I now like to think that the Vikings are simply a misunderstood race, each of their crews simply trying to complete their own pub trails albeit on a far larger scale than I and my friends achieved. It is clear that the Irish, the Franks, the Saxons and all the others simply didn’t realise that those burly guys simply brought their axes along as a dark age bottle opener.  

2 comments:

  1. Very funny Gareth,
    You must have still some of that amber liguid flowing through your veins as there your writing flowed rather well.
    So you like Dorset. And esp. on talking about not able to leave the first pub it must have been ''Bess the landlords daughter, the landlord black-eyed daughter''(quote; Alfred Noyes poem the highwayman)

    Looking forward to hear from you very soon
    Valiant

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I may have simply said "simply" a little too often though, but thank you for your kind words, they are appreciated!

    ReplyDelete