Wednesday 6 April 2011

Testing the waters.

http://www.stormwind.co.uk/image1/vinland/Vinland.jpg
What if these were just the vanguard for more settlers?
Well this is my first post in the blogosphere. I am an aspiring author and I know many writers are quite reclusive and secretive about their creations. They will hide in their study until they have finished the entire book and emerge only to speak to their publisher and collect their cheque. However I strongly believe in connecting with the audience who I hope will one day be reading my books. As such I will be posting progress reports, character introductions, and perhaps even some snippets.
My background is primarily in Politics and Management; however I have always had an interest in writing and historic occasions, particularly those which hinged on a particular event. Something which as always fascinated me are “what if” scenarios. What if Wellington had lost the battle of Waterloo? What if the Roman Empire had never fallen? What if the Vikings had succeeded in America?

The book I am working on at the moment is called “Vinland” and it centres around the discovery and settlement of America by the Norsemen. True to my love of what-ifs, this will be taking the view that Erik the Red had made it to Vinland with his son Leif. Would his forceful personality and proven track record at colonisation have made a difference to Viking ambitions in the New World?

Join me, and let’s find out.


6 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I know you are not hiding as a recluse in a cabbyhole, so good luck and God speed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the premise and this sounds interesting.

    Remember that the key to success is not brilliance, (that helps), but rather that you never stop trying.

    If this is your passion, then follow it, regardless of what anyone else says and what sort of conformity and obligations that are laid upon you.

    ~Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Jim says, it sounds like a very promising and nice premise for a novel (or series of novels).

    One of my recently read favourite writers, Conn Igulden, also writes fictional historical novels and I think there's a big audience who would be interested in reading novels such as these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Anonymous : Thanks for the good wishes!

    @ Jim : Thank you as always for your wise words.

    @ Jorgen : Conn is one of my favorite authors actually, his series on Julius Caesar, and the other on Genghis Khan are superb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi
    Good idea.
    And now to follow your progress on Twitter as well I see.
    V

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Valiant, great to have you on board!

    ReplyDelete